Flickr Badge - Most Interesting Photos Currently

rhubs knit - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Surprises - Buying A Car For A Dog?

Little did I know the last time I wrote in this blog and posted it on Monday the 25th of January that soon after I would get a call from my husband about a car sitting in the lot of an old dealer now a tire/mechanic/body shop. My husband phoned me because the car he had seen was like his a PT cruiser, but it was a convertible. The car was an 06 verses my husband's which is an 07. The body was silver, verses my husbands which is cream colored, and it only had 29,000 miles on it. Sounded good, but I hadn't been looking for a car.
Now you have to understand I have been using my husband's car, his 07 cream cruiser, because the now service dog that I rescued from the Oregon Humane Society is really too big to fit into my 93 white mustang convertible. Most of the time it isn't a problem for me to use my husband's car as he rides a motorized bicycle back and forth to work. When it is really stormy my husband takes my mustang convertible.
Now this rearrangement in cars was not a problem as we both had cars we could drive when we needed to use a specific one. Sometimes my husband uses the cruiser on the weekend to shop at Costco or Home Depot when he needs the cargo space and at those times I am usually home and not needing a car to transport Andy my extremely large black lab and I get to use my mustang when I am not taking Andy in a car. The problem is that Andy being a service dog usually goes everywhere with me so I was no longer using my convertible. Sometimes it would sit there in the driveway for 3 weeks before it was used again.
You have to understand neither my husband or I drive much, we only drive when necessary. However I really like driving a convertible and my husband remembered that when we were in California last summer at a family wedding I had seen a convertible PT Cruiser in a parking lot. I said to my husband at the time that it was too bad that a convertible hadn't been available when he bought his car and that something like that might work for Andy and I. Nice guy that my hubby is, he remembered what I had said...so on Monday after he was done with work we went to look at the car. Both he and I took it for a test drive and it seemed nice, but I wasn't about to jump and suddenly by a car. We learned that several other people were looking at the car and that the fellow who owned the car was currently in Germany, but would be back in the States briefly as his wife was now moving over with him. Whoever was ready to purchase the car first would get it. Knowing this again didn't make me want to make a snap decision. I told the fellow at the shop that I would sleep on it.
The next day I felt sick and ended up sleeping all day and both nights. I woke up on Wednesday and started to think about purchasing the car. I phoned my husband and told him I thought I might find out if the car was still there if the car was gone that was fine and if the convertible was still there I might make an offer. My husband mentioned that the blue book price on the 06 convertible was $11,000 something closer to $12,000 so suddenly if I was to make an offer it sounded like a good deal.
When I phoned the fellow he said someone had made an offer on the car, but wasn't coming right down. The person interested in the car had paid to have an inspection done on the car and was serious about it. I thought it wsa gone, but said would you take 9,000 if I came down right now and paid cash. (I had had some stocks bought out by another company so although it was a loss I had some extra cash.) He made a call to the owner of the car who had just come back for a few days and was in Seattle. The owner said whoever paid first got the car and 9,000 was fine. Suddenly I had a new car!
Now what to do with the mustang, I really didn't want to sell it as it still runs well. Our youngest son doesn't have his license yet, but he is 17 so I decided to keep it for him and let him know he could take some drivers-ed classes or take some driving classes through an agency and that I would let him use the mustang once he got his license an opportunity that neither I, my husband or my older son ever had. I think my youngest son is excited and I told him there was no rush, he should only learn to drive when he was ready. So now suddenly we own 3 cars whereas for most of my married life we only owned one car and I took the bus. Such a change and such a nice surprise. On Thursday I was able to take my son and my dog to an appointment in the car and I loved it. SO I GUESS ONE COULD SAY, I BOUGHT A CAR FOR MY DOG!

No comments:

Post a Comment